Monday, May 11, 2009

Feliz Día del Delantal

If you didn't get that, Happy Apron Day! Si, es hoy. With everything that has happened hoy, I forgot to tell you. Que? Sam forgot something. Si! I know, it has been a rough one. Pues, I made it to Las Vegas and I had some time to think before I need to prepare for work.

El Delantal, it was something that I always loved about mi abuelita. She always wore one. Anytime you went to visit her, she was in the kitchen con delantal. It has been the same one from when I was little until now. The same one. Years ago, when I first learned how to sew, I made her a new one. Out of tela she picked. Mi abuelita likes flowers, she picked a tela con yellow rositas. I sat for days and days on end trying to complete her delantal. Pues, dos semanas later, I was done. I wrapped it up and took it to her. Ella son mas feliz que ninitos on Christmas morning.

I waited and waited for her to put it on. Mi abuelita got up walked to her "special cajita" under her bed. She placed it in there, and went back into the cocina. You see, mi abuelita cherished it, loved it. Pero, it wasn't her delantel. It was one that she would later wear cuando los vecinos came for a visit, but not for cooking.

Now, mi abuelita is older. It is hard for her to do a lot of the same things. Pero, every single mananita, she puts it on. Now she sits at mi mami's mesa and helps cook. She will peel papitas, roll tortillas, or chop onions. Pero, todo las dias, ella wears her delantal con muncho carino.

Dios Bendiga...Sam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it. feliz dia!